Thursday, June 20, 2013

Who's Going to Iowa This Weekend?

Alternative title: USA Track and Field Championships This Weekend! Where Have I Been?

I know not everyone that follows this blog is as big of a Track and Field nerd as me, but I just thought I would let you all know that the USA Track and Field Championships are in Des Moines, Iowa this weekend and I'm very sad I didn't properly plan for the weekend. Des Moines isn't too far away and I probably could have made a weekend out of it with fellow Oiselle teammates and other bloggers that are also going. (Instead, I'm on my way to Mall of America right now to get my shop on. So, it is still going to be a fun weekend either way.)

The list of the heats and runners in each event are out and I couldn't be more excited!! I mean, the 5k alone has me jumping out of my skin. (Women: Mary Cain, Shalane Flanagan, Molly Huddle, Julie Culley, Kim Conley, Amy Hastings, Abbey D'Agostino... Men: Galen Rupp, Dathan Ritzenhein, Evan Jager, Bernard Lagat, Ben True... YES PLEASE!!!!) I'm also very much looking forward to some Morgan Uceny redemption in the 1500m! Tons of Olympians will be there and I just am beyond giddy with excitement. Right now, I'm in desperate need of some info on how to watch these events. I want to see them as they take place instead of the summary live broadcast later. Looks like I'll be catching up on my laptop in the evenings after a long day of shopping! I'm sure I'll be stalking FloTrack's twitter feed for the latest updates and spoilers, catching up on the videos later.

(I've posted lots of info on the Olympics last year. Click here if you're interested to know more.)

Are you going to Iowa to watch the festivities this weekend? Will you be stalking the internet and social media like me for the most recent updates?

And in case you'd like to follow some of these athletes along on Twitter, Maggie sent me this list of the top 100 Track and Field twitter accounts. (Turns out, I already follow about half of these. #runnerd)

Since every post needs a photo, here is one of me and some of my pals that came over super early in the morning (4am to be exact) to watch the Women's Olympic Marathon.


3 comments:

  1. There was a really interesting article in the April or May issue of Running Times about how DM campaigned to get the championships there... or something. LOL. Such a good memory, this one. I was just uber excited since I'm from IA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't followed it much, but I do read the highlights, Mary Cain is a phenom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - TooTallFritzJune 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

    I loved the marathon party! Wish we could do it every summer!!! I'm a track geek too but feel like Mr. Michael just consumes me so I know nothing about anything anymore.
    Random side note: I thought I saw Desi running the lakefront path today. I did a double take. It wasn't her. :(

    ReplyDelete