Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Marathon Spectating Excitement and I Forgot I'm Running a 5k

I'm getting really excited about the Chicago Marathon this year. And I'm NOT running it. I think this is the most excited I've ever been about a marathon! :) So many of my friends are running the Marathon this year and I'm happy that I'm going to be able to support them! I started the Chicago Marathon last year but was a DNF. This race and I have some unfinished business. I know I will once again attempt the Chicago Marathon, but this is not that year.

The runner tracker is set and I should be receiving text alerts on race day. They only let me track 3 people so I had to make those choices wisely. I know there is a runner update on the website that can be used, so I'll be using that probably more.

On race day, I plan on hanging out at mile 17, near the mile marker, until I see Maggie run by, when I'll be joining her for a few miles of the race! If you're starting in an earlier corral and in the first wave, look for me on the east side of the street. I'll be wearing my FN Run Club shirt! (It also has "Running Kellometers" on the back.)
With Maggie and Julie on their 20 miler, wearing my FN Run Club shirt

If you see me out there, say hi! I plan on having a lot of stuff in the pockets of my shorts to help aid runners along the way. If you need something, ask! I already have my outfit and a lot of the items laid out. How am I going to fit all of it in my shorts? That has yet to be determined...

Thankfully my shorts have a lot of pockets in them. The particular shorts I will be wearing are very unflattering, but when it comes to race support it is definitely time to chose function over fashion. If you're part of wave 2, I might still see you at mile 17, but I might also end up at mile 23 (on the South side of the street, by the overpass near the El tracks). I'm not a fan of this wave start as it makes spectating and running with different people quite difficult.

I've been so excited about spectating and laying out my helping outfit, I haven't really been focusing on the 5k I'm running the day before! I don't think I'll PR as I haven't been as dedicated to my running while studying, but I think it will be fun regardless! I'm still going to give it my all, and I plan on pushing outside my comfort zone (which I sometimes have a difficult time doing).

Are you running the Chicago Marathon? Are you spectating the Chicago Marathon? If you're spectating, where will you be?

14 comments:

  1. I'll be run/walking it this year! So grateful for the wonderful weather for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm running. I should be at mile 17 around 9:30ish (if all goes to plan). I will try and say "hi" if I am able and you are there at that point! Glad to know that there will be a General Store on the course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you Pete! If you see me and you realize you need something, just shout out! Best of luck and I'm sure you'll do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm also excited for the temps! Good luck out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer. That's awesome. Most likely I would need a Gu, if I am starting to fade. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I was going to ask where you were going to put all that stuff. You need a backpack! :)

    I am not spectating Chicago - I will be spectating at Milwaukee ;) Have a fun 5K and a fun time at Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for being out there! I'm running the 4:40 pace group, so not sure where that is in comparison to Maggie's plans, but it makes me happy to know that you (and the other thousands of people) will be out there cheering us on! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not going to be in Chicago but spectating sounds so fun! I love volunteering and spectating for races. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tested it out last night, and everything fits! I sound like one of those ice cream carts with everything jumbling around, but I'm sure it will be fine once stuff starts getting used! :)

    Spectating Milwaukee sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lauren! I'll be sure to look for you! What wave are you starting with? Best of luck to you if I don't end up seeing you out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Paulette! I'm so excited about it, I have my outfit all laid out and everything else. I think it is going to be a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in Wave 2, with a "K" on my bib! Better bring me some luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irina @ Chocolatea TimeOctober 4, 2012 at 6:21 AM

    I plan on spectating the marathon this weekend and am so excited about it! Not sure what mile I'll be at...I might just stroll around the course somehow. I'll make sure to buy a lot of candy and hand it out to the runners :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! I'm sure the runners will be happy to get some candy! I've heard Swedish fish and gummy bears are supposed to be good for energy! :)

    ReplyDelete