Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Monday Night at the Track

Yesterday Maggie and I had plans to hit the track to participate in Run With Jess' virtual Olympics. I had a super fun time the last time I visited a track so needless to say, I was pumped. We met up after work at the nearby high school track in between our houses. Thankfully there wasn't anything going on (we heard rumors about football practice) but we were pretty much on our own. We did quite a few distances (1500m, 800m, 400m, 200m, 100m) to compare ourselves to the Olympians. Uhhh if you cut our times in half, they were kind of close. Lol.

I was most interested to see my 400m time. My PR at the distance is 62 seconds, from 2000. I never broke the 60 second barrier and more consistently ran 64s... over 10 years ago... After completing the 1500m and 800m (we ran all of the distances together), I still had high hopes for the 400m. I ran my butt off and thought I nailed it. I had to be close to that PR, right? I was looking at my stop watch expecting to see a time in the 50s. Why? High hopes I guess... Needless to say, I was off... My stopwatch read 1:20.5... That is 80 seconds amd not even close. I still had lots to smile about--it was a lot of fun! I really liked going fast even if I'll never go pro. Hehe. That's what 5k age group awards are for, right?!
Maggie and I getting ready to start our 200m dash

I ran in my Mizuno Wave Inspire 8s and I really loved how they helped grip the track and keep me on my toes. I really like these shoes for racing and will continue to wear them for 5ks in the future. While we were out there, we thought how fun it would be to participate in a local track meet with other local running clubs. But then the thought of getting the track time, the logistics of timing the various distances, etc... we thought a cross country invitational may be more fun. I guess we'll start planning after the Chicago Marathon... :)

14 comments:

  1. Can we please start a cross country team for old people? I am sad that i never played high school sports....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun time at the track. I try and get to the track once a week. It really helps my speed. It's flat and you don't have to worry about crossing the street. Count me in for that cross country team! I love my Mizuno Wave Inspire 8's, my legs have never felt better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evanston Running Club actually started a Cross Country Invitational for running clubs last fall! It's where my most epic race photo ever comes from. I hope they do it again this year and that more clubs get involved.

    I also think it would be great fun if there was a track meet for adults. Not because I'm fast (my best 400 time is something like 96 seconds) but because sometimes it's fun to run something other than a 5K or further.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never run the track. Only the mile in HS which I hated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cross country team for old people! Now that's a snappy name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are hardcore for doing all of those distances in one night! Did you do them as a reverse ladder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If this was FB, I would "like" that comment. OLD PPL RULEZ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I def think I have to go out there and try to run a 400m again. You know, just because ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be sure to put up information if we actually start planning something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun! I have no clue what my times were on the track back in the day. Even when I actually was in track, I stuck with the 1600. It's like early on I knew I prefered endurance over speed...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! I have been seeing the footballers at 6pm when I leave the pool. Not sure when they finish practice but I'm so happy you had the track to yourself.

    Great job, ladies & kick axx photo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like fun! I ran CCin high school but never track. I wish there were open track meets for us non pros. That would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete