Monday, May 14, 2012

Quarryman Challenge "Race Report"

PSYYYYYYYYYYYCH!

Today was the day of the Quarryman Challenge in Lemont. Maggie came by my house and we carpooled to the race. It was drizzling, raining, and lightening on our way there. It looked like we were heading into clear skies so we were hopeful things would clear up by the time of the race. We met up with Amanda, Susan, and Nicole of the FNRC while we were waiting for the race to start.
L to R: Me, Maggie, Susan, Nicole, and Amanda

Announcements were made about the race being delayed, and then delayed again. Until finally it was announced that the race was canceled. I was pretty bummed out considering I was looking forward to the challenge of the hills. We saw a few groups go ahead and do the course anyways, but I had my bag with me and so we watched them run off with sad faces all around. Not to let the rain get us down, we went to a nearby forest preserve and ran anyways.
Out of spite, we wore our shirts for the run.
L to R: Maggie, Amanda, Nicole, Susan, me

We were already up, we were already a little wet, so why not get our run on? The trail we went to was crushed limestone and just under 3 miles for a loop. Maggie and I ran a total of 9 miles at a 9:38 average pace. I felt comfortable and we tried to turn a crappy day into a productive one. This was my first time ever having a race be canceled. Have you had this happen before? What did you do?

7 comments:

  1. The only time I've ever had a race canceled was the 2010 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10. It was also canceled due to weather but that day it had rained so much we had a hard time finding somewhere non-flooded to run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah but if it hadn't been canceled, you wouldn't be able to use "psyyyyyyyych" in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I've heard of that race before but this year it is the day before the Rock N Roll so I didn't sign up for it. It was the lightening that was a killer/bummer. Oh well. I guess there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First-timer race cancelled runner here!! (Raises hand!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a bummer. I have never had a race cancelled (knock on wood) Glad you ladies got to go for a run together anyway - who needs a race?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a race canceled! I would be so bummed :( I am happy you still got to run with your friends though!

    ReplyDelete