Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Treadmills Win Only on Rainy Days

Yesterday I was strapped for time as we were heading to dinner at Houlihan's for my mom's birthday right after work. Thankfully my office has a full workout facility with lockers and showers. I wanted to do some speed training and gave this a try on the treadmill for the first time. I figured running fast stretches of pedestrian-less sidewalks would be difficult/impossible in the loop. Plus it was raining and I didn't have the right gear. It ended up being both challenging and simple at the same time. I had set the "speed interval" function on the treadmill, but I wasn't sure when the intervals would kick in or how often. So I changed it to manual and managed it on my own. I much prefer being outside because it is hard to figure out a sprint in a minutes-per-mile number. I did 8x400 intervals with every other being a sprint and every other being a jog. It did the trick but I hope I don't have to do it on the treadmill that often.

Before the Chicago marathon, I went a little crazy at the expo. I bought a fleece and a shirt, in addition to the normal race shirt we got in our packets. I thought about selling the expo stuff on eBay or giving them to Goodwill. I feel like a poser wearing them because I didn't finish the Chicago marathon (I'll explain the full story on another date). However, my husband and running friends convinced me to keep them. Have you ever signed up for a race and didn't finish it? Do you still wear the gear?

Mizuno 2011 Chicago Marathon shirt

The weather for Thursday is expected to be in the 50s. Not sure but I think my new hooded pullover will be too warm for the Turkey Trot! Now it's time to think of alternative outfits. I did just pick up a new melon colored long sleeve with my Kohl's cash last week. I'll prob have a few different layers and decide once I'm there.

No comments:

Post a Comment